|Hartland Point Lighthouse was officially opened by the
Bishop of Exeter on the 1st July 1874. The original revolving light was
driven by a clockwork mechanism and had to be wound by a keeper every
two and a half hours. The lighthouse was automated in 1984 and is now
controlled from Trinity House Operations Control Centre in Harwich, Essex.
The present light emits six white flashes every fifteen seconds which
can be seen from a range of twenty five miles. The fog signal gives a
five second blast every sixty seconds that can be heard from a distance
of two miles.