|Also known as the Hingston Hill Stone Row as
the row and its associated cairn circle actually resides on Hingston Hill
near Down Tor. This is a spectacular site with the stone row containing
approximately 150 stones with a large terminal stone standing 9 feet tall.
At the south-western end there is a 39 foot diameter cairn with a central
kistvaen. There is a separate cairn situated to the north-west of the stone
row. The site was restored in 1894 by the Reverend Sabine Baring-Gould and
Robert Burnard with fallen stones re-erected in their original sockets.
It was Baring-Gould along with his friend Robert Burnard who organised the
first scientific archaeological excavations of Grimspound during 1893 which
in turn resulted in the formation of the Committee of the Devonshire Association
for the exploration of Dartmoor. It was this committee which organised many
of the early archaeological digs and restorations of prehistoric settlements