|The remains of this mine lie to the north of
the River Plym, less than a mile north-east of Drizzlecombe, situated between
Combshead Tor and Higher Hartor Tor on the southern shoulder of Eylesbarrow
hill. This area of Dartmoor has been exploited for tin since the 16th century.
Eylesbarrow was first opened in 1814, operated until 1831, closed for a
short period before re-opening again in 1835. It closed finally in 1852
being known as Wheal Ruth during its final two years. It was one of Dartmoor’s
most important and prosperous mines during the first half of the 19th century.
It had its own smelting house the ruins of which can still be seen along
with stamping mills, wheel pits, leats, tramways, shafts and adits. Water
to power the wheels and other processes was diverted from the River Plym
and its upper tributaries via two leats with a large storage reservoir to
hold the water. On the top of Eylesbarrow hill are two prominent Bronze