Home PageReturn to Dartmoor menu Leathertor Farm, Burrator, Dartmoor  

The ruins of Leathertor Farm lie below Leather Tor in the woods above Burrator Reservoir. The farm was abandoned in 1924 along with the other farms in the area when Plymouth Corporation had concerns that farms lying within the reservoir's catchment were polluting the water supply. The ruins seen today were last tenanted by Mr John Lillicrap and are of a farm building built in 1870 and of a barn built in 1873. However this farmstead was built on the site of an earlier farm; indeed the first record of a farmstead here dates from 1317. Remains of earlier buildings can be seen on the other side of the track which runs down past Leathertor farm when approaching from the direction of Devonport Leat above.

Leathertor Farm Leathertor Farm Leathertor Farm Leathertor Farm