Home PageReturn to Dartmoor menu Middleworth Farm, Burrator, Dartmoor  

The ruins of Middleworth farmstead lie 450m south east of Norsworthy Bridge, situated on a south facing terrace overlooking the Narrator Brook. There is a series of drystone walls showing the position of the farmhouse and the remains of various outbuildings and paddocks. At the eastern end of the site the barn remains standing to its original height, but all the other buildings are in ruins. It was made a scheduled monument by Historic England in 2002. A farming settlement was first recorded here in 1281 and was originally known as Middleworthy. The site seems to have remained in constant occupation until it was abandoned in the 1920s. The present ruins are of a farm built by the then landowner, Sir Massey Lopes, in 1885. The existing farm was demolished and re-built, a date stone inscribed ML 1885 can still be seen high on the wall of the surviving barn. Plmouth Corporation took the tenancy from Arthur Williams in 1914 and grew potatoes here during the 1914-1918 war; it was abandoned shortly after.

Middleworth Farm Middleworth Farm Middleworth Farm Middleworth Farm Middleworth Farm